Founded in 1976 by Stan Shih together with his wife Carolyn Yeh and a group of five other people called Multitech, ACER has its roots in Hshichu City, Taiwan. Originally, ACER began as a distributor of electronic parts and a consultant in the use of microprocessor technologies under the name of Multitech. They also produced a number of products (Micro-Professor MPF-I training kit, Microprofessor II and Microprofessor III) before joining the IBM PC compatible market and became a successful PC manufacturer. It was not until 1987 that the company was renamed from Multitech to ACER.
By 1998, ACER divided itself into five main groups: ACER International Service Group, ACER Sertek Service Group, ACER Semiconductor Group, ACER Information Products Group, and ACER Peripherals Group.
When consumer notebooks became the sole growth drivers of the PC industry in the mid-2000s, ACER was immediately beneficial for its exceptionally low overheads and dedication to the channel. In Europe, ACER grew rapidly through the empowerment of a more traditional strategy of targeting retail consumers instead of online sales and business customers—what ACER’s rival marketing were targeting at the time. When ACER bought Gateway in the USA and Packard Bell in Europe, they became the world’s number 3 provider of computers and number 2 for notebooks.
Acer Singapore - Acquisitions of other companies
The acquiring of other companies has always been a part of a growing establishment on the journey of gaining more profit and economic stability. Below are ACER’s acquisitions:
- Counterpoint Computers (1988)
- Altos Computer Corporation (1990)
- Gateway and eMachines (2007)
- 75% of Packard Bell E-TEN (2008)
- 9% Olidata (2009)
- Founder Technology (2010)
- iGware Inc. (2011)
ACER Singapore’s worldwide footprint
Being one of the maker leaders of notebook and desktop PCs, tablets, monitors, projectors, smartphones, servers and storage solutions, ACER has its footprints all across the major locations of the world.
- North America
- Headed by Acer America Corporation and based in San Jose, California, being one of the members of Acer Group, Acer America handles the R&D, engineering, manufacturing, and marketing operations in the United States and Canada.
- ACER’s Australia subsidiary is established as Acer Computer Australia (ACA) and was established in 1990. Having being only third behind Hewlett-Packard and Dell Australia. This particular subsidiary is Australia’s leading PC vendor in government and education markets.
- In India, basing in Bangalore, ACER’s subsidiary is called Acer India (Pvt) Limited. Its key segments (education, desktop computers, and low profile notebooks for education make it a notable PC vendor.
- The main distributor of PT Acer Indonesia is the PT Dragon Computer and Communication.
- ACER has two factories in Netherlands under the Acer IMS bv; a laptop factory in Den Bosch and a desktop factory in Tilburg. In Tilburg, various Acer server models and TV set top boxes were produced in limited quantities. There were also factories in Germany under the name of IMS in Ahrensburg and Hamburg.
As ACER extracted its computer production under Wistron (one of its branches), the Dutch and German brands merged. They relocated to mainland China and the desktop factory discontinued.
ACER Singapore’s acing product line
- Business desktops : Acer Veriton series
- Business notebooks : Acer TravelMate series, Acer Extensa series
- Chromebooks : Acer C670, Acer AC700, Acer C710, Acer C720 (2GB), Acer C720 (4GB), Acer C720P
- Computer displays : G Series, P Series, H Series, X Series, B Series, V Series, S Series, T Series, D Series, MO Monitor TV series
- Consumer desktops : Desktop Acer Aspire Predator, Acer Aspire Desktop series, Acer Aspire Predator series, Consumer notebooks, Acer Aspire Notebook series, Acer Aspire Timeline series, Acer Ferrari products series, Acer Iconia
- Home network solutions : Acer Clear.fi
- Mobile phones : Acer CloudMobile, Acer Allegro (WP8), Acer Tempo series, Acer Liquid series, Acer beTouch, Acer neoTouch, Acer Stream, Acer E110, Acer DX, Acer F, Acer Iconia, Acer T, Acer X960
- Netbooks : Netbook Acer Aspire OneUltra-Thin 522, Acer Aspire One series, Ferrari One, Nettops, Acer Aspire Revo
- Projectors : Professional series, Home series, Travel series, Value series, Servers and storage, Acer server F1 series, Tower series: T110 F1, T115 F1, T150 F1, T310 F1, T350 F1;, Rack series: R160 F1, R180 F1, R320 F1, R360 F1, R380 F1, R385 F1, R585 F1;, Blade series: B2x285 F1, B2x280 F1, B460 F1;, Gemini series: B1170 F1, B2170 F1, B2170t, B2175 F1, Home Server Series: H340, H341, H342, Altos Easystore M2
- Acer storage series : N500 F1, N1600 F1, HNAS3080, GS2040, AMS2100, AMS2300
- Tablets : Acer Iconia TabW5, Acer Iconia Tab series, Acer Aspire Switch 10. This is a 2-in-1 tablet with detachable keyboard. It was launched in 2014 and runs Windows 8.
- Television : AT Series
- Other (discontinued devices) : Digital cameras, Personal digital assistants, Automotive navigation systems, Acer PICA
ACER Singapore’s impact and contribution to the environment
ACER was ranked 4th out of 15 in Greenpeace’s relaunched Guide to Greener Electronics. The guide ranked electronics makers according to their policies and practices to reduce their impact on the climate, produce greener products, and make their operations more sustainable.
Upon launching new products that do not contain polyvinyl chloride plastic (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFRs), ACER also informed Greenpeace that they are producing PVC/BFR-free products.
ACER Singapore - sponsored parties and events
In the year 2000, ACER became an official sponsor for the BAR-Honda Formula One racing team. Following that, they sponsored the Prost Grand Prix Formula One team and the Ferrari team dubbed their engines as Acers.
ACER has become the official sponsor of the Ferrari Formula 1 team from 2003 to 2012 and was the top sponsor of FC Internazionale – Milano (Inter Milan). From 2007 till 2009, ACER was the official sponsor of F Barcelona and the Toronto Blue Jays.
ACER was also a Worldwide TOP Partner for both the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, Singapore Youth Olympic Games, and the 2012 London Summer Olympics.
ACER has a professional gaming team that consists of players from all around the world to compete in games like StarCraft 2, TrackMania, and FIFA Soccer.
What iprice.sg is saying about ACER Singapore
Devoted to designing IT products that improve usability and add value to customers’ needs -- be it at work or leisure, the people in ACER believe innovation is not the mere creation of new technologies and solutions, but the guarantee that users receive the benefits of these developments, and feel truly empowered. With a wide-ranging line-up of products to suit your technological need, you can expect great things to come from ACER.
Here at iprice.sg, you can browse through what ACER Singapore has to offer while you enjoy the great deals and discounts with every soon-to-be purchase!