Time to say bye-bye to bottles and introduce spill-proof bottles to your child’s feeding routine. Don’t make the mistake of letting your baby get too attached to the bottles as it’ll become harder for them to transition to other types of feeding tools.
What’s a Sippy Cup?
A feeding cup, also usually called a sippy cup or baby cup, is a training feeding tool that allows your child to drink without spilling the content. The modern sippy cups design was the invention of Richard Belanger who the licensed the blueprint to Playtex. These baby transition cups come with a plastic spout on a screw-on lid and your child must tilt the cup and drink from that
How to Introduce Sippy Cups
Most babies are ready to make the switch to sippy cups at the age of 6 to 9 months old and by the time your baby is one year old, it’s best to end the use of bottles altogether. This is to prevent tooth decay and improve their motor skills.
The best way to transition your child to using sippy cup is to use a soft and pliable spout at the early stages. This soft spout resembles the nipple on a feeding bottle so your baby will unlikely reject the sippy cup. Guide your baby by tipping the cup slowly so the liquid will flow through the cup. Do this until your child becomes familiar with the motions.
If your child seems to reject the sippy cup, dip the spout in a little bit of breastmilk or formula. Another step is to split the breast milk or formula between the baby bottle and the sippy cup. First, feed your baby with the bottle and after it finishes, introduce the sippy cup to finish the feeding session. You can also modify the spout and try other beverages other than milk.
Sippy Cups Do’s and Don’ts
- Don’t rush the transition process. Think of it as another training stage for a successful infanthood and childhood.
- Do make the process fun and engaging. Play little games and make funny faces so you and your baby won’t easily be frustrated.
- Don’t overfill the sippy cup. A little bit goes a long way especially if your child is fussy.
- Do clean the sippy cup thoroughly. Clean and disinfect it as you would with baby bottles.
- Don’t let your child be too comfortable with the sippy cup. As soon as your baby can feed properly with the sippy cup, immediately switch to a regular cup.
- Do enjoy this transition process because your baby is taking the next step into independence.
The best sippy cup brands that you can choose from are Avent, Pigeon, and Zoli. On iPrice, you can save a few bucks on these sippy cups with the discounts and offers available. Start introducing your child to the next stage of life with sippy cups from iPrice.